D.J.







This is another installment in the Artist Spotlight Series.



I plan on doing more of these, if you would like to be featured, or would like to suggest an Artist, please contact me at drazil91@hotmail.com



When I first met D.J. Briggs he struck me as being sardonic and having a very wry sense of humor.

I immediately recognized his passion and talent for performing music and mentioned that he was our local answer to Donald Fagen.  He informed me that he was not a huge fan of Steely Dan.

I have played with him at jams quite a few times, and have witnessed his skill on the bass, guitar, piano and drums.  He also is very adept on the technical side, formerly having a studio in New Orleans. He often acts as a lifeline for me, onstage if I am stuck.  Open jams can be difficult at my skill level, but I usually take some good lessons away.

I often ask him questions about music, such as the fabled  "Circle of Fifths" and he will respond that the job of the bass player is making the booties move with bass playing and not to worry about that.

I directly asked him about lessons, due to my dissatisfaction with my current online school.  In my humble opinion, Americans simply can NOT take lessons from Europeans that have been molded by music theory from their earliest days of schooling.

He said that if I could teach him how to make homebrew beer, that I could ignore the lessons and he would be a my spirit guide and advisor for music.  He said we could sit down at a local Wendy's, eat some burgers and figure it all out.

I asked if he could play "Wonderwall".  He said that he could, but would CHOOSE not to. (typical D.J. answer).  Now I know, it is a cliche', but I have heard worse songs on stages around here. (Wagon Wheel?) I switched the subject and mentioned working on "The Police" playlist.  He said "Now you are talking!" I told him they were my favorite band, but that I looked up to Stewart Copeland INSTEAD of Sting.  "That's because you GET it!  Exactly, man."

He kindly took the time to answer some questions via email.



What got you started in music? Is there anyone in your family that is musical? who are they and what do they play?

Started playing with my dad before kindergarten about age 4/5.
I think the first song i learned was "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette; or maybe "King Of The Road"...


What was the first instrument you purchased?

In the Same year I purchased a Bundy Clarinet and a Gibson electric guitar (1974-age 11).
Before that my father gave me an acoustic guitar when i was about 8...
There was also and accordion, a banjo, and an organ in our home as a child.


What instruments can you play?

It's a long list...
I like to play any instrument in front of me.
I cant play flute, trumpet, harp, or bowed strings; most everything else makes sense...



Have you had any formal, sit-down training or lessons?

High school band;
but mainly studied hard, practiced hard, and learned from peers that were exceptional


What special skills do you have for the technology that goes along with music production and/or performing?

After college, I studied in a masters program for production at MTSU. It was at the same time the first MacIntosh personal computers introduced ProTools/SoundTools around 1988.
My skills and experience in music production far exceed my musical/performing experience pre-2000.


What famous musicians or their recordings have you been influenced by?

Rush - 2112
Police - Synchronicity
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Weird Al - EVERYTHING
Garrison Keeler - Prairie Home Companion


Do you ever get nervous performing, and how do you deal with it?

No

What is your practice regimen like?

I mostly "practice" memorizing lyrics and thinking about music theory.
I probably play acoustic guitar or keys 1-2 hours a day.


How do you balance your music career and the rest of your life?

I do what I want, when I want...
Everyday is Saturday...

... so it all works out good

What is next on the horizon for you, musically?

Locally, I have a couple "dinner duo" projects that help pay the bills.
I also have a couple surprise political/parody events coming up this year that hopefully get a little traction.

Hell, I might even start a band!




I asked him for his booking info, and he stated that his voicemail has a message informing callers that his Agent thinks he should take more gigs.  Typical remark from this great guy.  If you see him out and about performing it will be worth your time to listen.




Stir up that MONKEYDUST!

© 2020 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Never Gonna Give You Up