Roundabout

I will remember you, your silhouette will charge the view, of distance.......atmosphere.....-Yes






I am fairly active on social media and I have joined many groups on facebook.  One of these is called "Music of the Florida Panhandle" which seemed like a nice bunch of folks in the local music scene.  It was apparently started as a forum for drummers, but administrator duties had been handed to a bass player named Ken.  He explained that he had been fairly busy lately organizing "Battle of the Bands" type events and had recently become ill.  He asked in the forum if anyone would be interested in being made an admin of the group.  Myself and another bass player named Tom both volunteered.  Why must it ALWAYS be the bass players?  I received friend requests from both of them and accepted.

I had been adding mutual and local musician friends for a while on social media, and discovered many great people.  I am guilty of  adding everyone who asks at first.   I friended a musician named Don and his wife Theresa who run an account for their son nick-named "Waffle".  I  find out Don is from Chicago as well.  They are truly a great family and they post really interesting and hilarious things about their family life.

After some time, a benefit is organized at a venue called "The Blue Moon" for Ken.  All the local musicians that know him are making plans to attend and jam.  I ask my wife to attend with me, after pre-checking the smoke situation, she agrees and we hop in the car.


I enter the venue and head straight to the bar to order a burger to split with my wife and their special "house" draft (Blue Moon).  We find a table with some seats available with Don and Theresa and Waffle.  I greet Ken, the guest of honor, and without thinking, extend my hand to shake.  He regretfully tells me that his immune system by this time is very fragile and he would abstain and offers a smile and a raincheck.

The server lets me know that my food order is ready, and as I go to pick it up, I bump into Tom Pituch.  I do not process this at first.  He says, "Hello, I am from Facebook".  I  slowly nod with the burger sauce sliding off of my plate onto my hand.  "Oh, THAT Tom!".  "That is called a 'reality breach'" he tells me.  We had hit it off very well, and to this day, trade viral memes together.  He continues to help me with difficult basslines and is very accomplished.  He is, as of this posting, playing with Sticky Tea.  I highly recommend hearing them if you get the chance.

I watch several musicians rotate onto the stage, and elect not to play that night.  I put faces to several people I know from social media and even get to start collecting local artist cds.  It was a great tribute to Ken.




Unusually, when I arrived home, my wife did not ask "How did it go?"
"I was there." She announced.
"I hate to break the format of my blog posting" I said.
"You paraphrase me anyhow." She stated.

What else could I say?

Stir up that MONKEYDUST!



© 2018 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



Comments

  1. Ken shook my hand that night...😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I got the wrong idea. I miss the guy anyway.

      Delete
    2. No... I instinctively reached out and he shook it. I quickly apologized. He said it was okay.. I dunno. I'll tell you about another time I shook his. It's a funny story. Lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Violet