Local Artist Spotlight : "Blue Mama Blues Band"



This is the first installment in the Artist Spotlight Series.  

I plan on doing more of these, if you would like to be featured, or would like to suggest an Artist, please contact me at drazil91@hotmail.com






I have wanted to interview Melissa, the "Blue Mama" of the Band as a "sit-down" type discussion for quite a while, but our schedules would not permit it.  She was kind enough to provide some great insight in her answers to my questionnaire.  I highly recommend checking out her live show.

---disclaimer:  I am occasionally paid a performance fee by this Artist



Photo courtesy Ken Shaffer



What got you started in music?



I come from a musical family, both mother and father. My maternal grandmother played accordion, violin, mandolin, guitar, and sang. My mother played piano and sang. My paternal grandmother plays piano. My father plays trombone, trumpet, piano, and sings. When I was 4, I started with accordion lessons. I was the youngest student my teacher had, and he wanted me to lead the class during a parade through the town. But the accordion was so heavy for me, I couldn’t walk down the street. After that I didn’t like it. I also started singing at the same age. My next instrument was piano, at age 5.

Back then, it was something my family did, and so it seemed like a natural thing to do. Music was all around me. But when I turned 7, and got my first guitar, it became something I HAD to do. I fell in love with it, and haven’t stopped playing since.



What was the first instrument you purchased?


My first purchase, something that I bought for myself, was this Ibanez electric guitar. The first rock song I learned on it was Iron Man by Black Sabbath. My second song that I learned was Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower.

What instruments can you play?

Guitar, bass, piano & organ, harmonica, violin, mandolin

Have you had any formal, sit-down training or lessons?


My mother started teaching me accordion at 4, along with a formal instructor for a brief time. She taught me piano as well. At 7, my grandmother bought me my first acoustic guitar, and I carried it to school 3 times a week for free, after school lessons. We were very poor, and couldn’t afford lessons. I was self-taught on every instrument, until I was an adult. I was instructed on bass in my 40’s, by Anthony “Pops” Holmes, an accomplished bass player. Also, I had some lessons from my, then lead guitar player for Blues Edition, Andrew Enz, who is also a formal instructor. I never learned to read music, as I have an eye condition which makes my eyes twitch. It is very difficult for me to see the dots on the page, in their correct position. So, I have learned to watch people play, and listen. That is how I have learned each instrument, from the beginning.

What are the pieces of gear that make up your current equipment setup?


I have a VOX tube amp, a Hofner violin style guitar, and a shure SM58 mic. In the past, I’ve had a Gibson, Telecaster, Jay Turser bass, Nord 88 Stage keyboard, Macki PA system, etc. I’ve opted to keep things simpler and lighter, at my age.

What famous musicians or their recordings have you been influenced by?


In the blues, George Thorogood has always been a favorite of mine, in the way he plays the blues boogie, as well as Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Albert King, Freddie King, so many have made an impression. But Jimi Hendrix is my ultimate favorite, the way he plays lead & rhythm guitar. I’ve been influenced by so many singers, like Etta James, Koko Taylor, and especially Tina Turner.

Do you ever get nervous performing, and how do you deal with it?


I have never had stage fright. I get nervous before I leave for the gig, thinking I may have forgotten something. So I check to make sure I have guitar pics, cables, etc, about 20 times before I leave. But as I’m performing, I’m in a zone, where there is only the mojo between me and the band, and me and the audience. Becoming part of the music, and the groove, that’s a real rush, like a drug, and I’m an addict.

What is your practice regimen like?


When I find a new song I wanna learn, or write a new song, I play the heck out of it, cause I’m driven to. If I have to learn a song I don’t really like, I will procrastinate till the last minute to learn it. But if I love it, I get locked in and I learn it quick. My skills improve, as I find new passions in music I’ve never played before.

How would you describe your band's sound?


Raw, high energy, pure feel and dynamics.

What musicians are currently the featured performers in your band?


Aaron Bateman-lead guitar

Perry Williams-keyboard & sax

Dan Roach-drums and soundman

Ron Stanley-bass

Scott Belisle-sub drums

Matt Coleman-sub bass 

---editor note:I will now always think of myself as "sub-woofer" in addition to "The Lizard"


What is next on the horizon for you, musically?


Playing the guitar and singing until I drop dead. But seriously, I have no expectations. Where ever it leads, that’s where it goes. I’m thankful every day, that I can play and sing, and that people get enjoyment out of it. I want to, in my small way, keep the blues alive for the next generations, because it’s raw, real music, from the soul. It isn’t for everyone, but for those who feel it, the blues tribe, there we will be, me and the band, layin’ down the blues grooves, keepin’ the mojo flowing.




Final notes:


Blue Mama has a new album named "Goody Bag Blues" in the works, which will probably be released in 2018, with a new single out soon.  You can book this band by contacting Melissa at bluemamablues@outlook.com





Stir up that MONKEYDUST!

© 2018 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Violet