Local Artist Spotlight: "Shane R. Johns"



This is another installment in the Artist Spotlight Series.  



I plan on doing more of these, if you would like to be featured, or would like to suggest an Artist, please contact me at drazil91@hotmail.com










I originally met Shane at a "No Jacket Required" (NJR) jam session hosted by the band "Bonedaddy" at Lowe's House of Bourbon in St. Andrews. I was really interested in interviewing him after I heard a couple of his original songs and played with him as well.  He also has a webseries known as "Artist One" that is worth checking out.




What got you started in music?

At a very early age my parents took me to a cookout. There was a blues band performing and I knew right there, that music was what I wanted to pursue.
  

Is there anyone in your family that is musical, who are they and what do they play?     

Yes, my youngest brother Steven. He plays a variety of instruments. His main is guitar, piano, And singing. 


What was the first instrument you purchased?

The first instrument I purchased was a Franciscan dreadnought acoustic guitar. I did every chore I could to earn the fifty dollars to buy it from my cousin.
  

What instruments can you play?

I can play: Guitar, Trumpet, Trombone, Drums, Bass, Autoharp. I enjoy picking up all kinds of instruments just to see what sound I can get from them.


Have you had any formal, sit-down training or lessons?

The only instrument I had any lessons on was the Trumpet. 


What are the pieces that make up your current equipment setup?

 Acoustic Electric Guitars: PRS Alex Lifeson Series, KB Guitars Custom AC-1, 1978  Fannin D-35 Style Dreadnought

Electric Guitars: Epiphone Dot 335, PRS Custom 24, Godin A-6 Ultra Baritone

Bass Guitars: Peavy 5 string, Epiphone SG 4 String

Amplifiers: Line 6 Spider, Fender Acoustasonic , Fender Rumble Bass amp

Mackie PA System, I also have a full recording studio. 



What famous musicians or their recordings have you been influenced by?

I have been influenced by: Miles Davis, Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Lou Reed, Mike Ness, Clint Black, Randy Travis, George Strait, Rick Braun, Larry Carlton, Steve Lukather, Martin L. Gore, Kevin Griffen, Gavin Rossdale, Eddie Vedder, Maynard James Keynan Many, Many More. 


Do you ever get nervous performing, and how do you deal with it?

I used to be terrified to be in front of people. There was a time when I used to throw up every now and then before hitting the stage. In one band I was in I could pull it off as anger which was ok because the band was heavy rock and I was the front man. After several years of performing, I have grown stronger and the nerves are not as bad as they once were.  These days it is more adrenaline than nerves. I deal with being nervous like this….” Ok Shane just let the music take you where you need to be and don’t worry about all those people out there. Show them how you feel about music. This is what you have been working so hard for. Give them a show!” 


What is your practice regimen like?

I practice regularly from 30 minutes to an hour a day. Sometimes it comes in spurts and I practice on and off through out the day. I do not have a set time but for some odd reason for years in the evening I noticed I would get the urge to practice for a solid hour at 7:30pm each night. I have my studio set up like I am on stage. I also face a mirror while practicing. This technique is very helpful.
  

How do you balance your music career and the rest of your life?

 As a family man with a wife and two kids. It was not always easy. Yes while touring you can miss time with your family. It is how you apply yourself to your family when you are home is what matters. I have a very strong and supporting family. How I balance my career and my family is like this. I learned a long time ago that you make time for what you want to do. I have always made time for music no matter what. I apply that same mentality when it comes to my family.  


How would you describe your band's sound?

Original/Alternative/Acoustic/Rock/and more… I am into sounds from the 1990’s and back. I believe that the new age is trying forget those sounds. I take those sounds and add my own blend in them to keep the music alive.


What musicians are currently the featured performers in your band?

Currently I am a Solo Artist.


What is next on the horizon for you, musically? 

This year 2018 is twenty years for me in the business.  I have a documentary coming out in late 2018 . It is about my life as a musician and more. I also have a new album being released on July 4, 2018. It is called Wood, Steel, Raw, Real. It is an unplugged and raw album featuring most requested songs from fans over the last 20 years. There are also some rarities as well on the album.  I plan on letting this musical journey continue to take me places and show others that anything is possible with hard work and dedication. My passion is helping other artists live their dreams. I believe in mentoring and motivating others to keep going through the good times and bad. To me there is so much more than just being the artist. We need to be seen and heard. What’s next on the horizon?  Success.

Final notes:

  Shane offers a tour-de-force on stage,  with just acoustic guitar. Two great highlights from his catalog are "Mona Lisa" and "World Shaker".  Artists of his caliber set the bar for  aspiring musicians like myself.



Booking/Contact Information:


Shane R. Johns

Phone: 850-601-4022



Other project sites:










Stir up that MONKEYDUST!



© 2018 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Violet