Hey, Bartender


Juke box playin' and everything, All the cats began to sing, I heard somebody called and said

LAST ROUND FOR ALCOHOL- Floyd Dixon


The House of Bourbon is an unusual place.

Yacht basin at night 

Derelict motel across the way.

It sits atop the Shrimp Boat restaurant which has been there for about 10 years.  The property was originally an old school Florida seafood place and fell into such disrepair by the 1990s it was unsafe to go near.  Smith's yacht basin had some sunken boats in it, and the whole area received Community Redevelopment Area (C.R.A.) funding.  It was redeveloped into a beautiful building by the son of the original owner.   I remember him showing me the plans and thinking how it would improve the St. Andrews corridor of Beck Avenue.  It helped spur a renaissance in the area, but then, it fell into receivership.  The bank hired a property management company to run it until it was sold to By The Seas Resorts, an up-and-coming investment group that has purchased many properties in the area.

The House of Bourbon was designed to have an entrance like a "speakeasy".  My brother-in law suggested the "secret" entrance to the original owner.  It is accessed via a non-descript stairwell or an elevator tucked away in an alcove. It is yet another place that most denizens of the area have trouble recalling it's location.  By The Sea advertises it on LED signage at all their properties, but still, people do not know where it is, generally.  If you tell someone, "it's on top of the Shrimp Boat" they usually can find it.

Before it was sold, the NJR jam session took up residence on the top floor and it was quite successful for a while.  The House of Bourbon has a large dance floor and plenty of conversational seating.  There were many diverse clientele filling the tables and I had played for my largest crowds there.  I remember so many people dancing that some of the tables had to be moved. Arthur, the general manager was busy keeping people happy and announcing "hot mic" when the band would take a bit too long on break.

After the ownership change it sat empty for a while, only hosting the occasional banquet.  I was informed by The Dude that the jam would re-start and asked if I was interested in playing on Thursday nights.  I loved the idea,  it was thisclose to my house, non-smoking and a great view and an excellent sunset.  The building hosts many restaurant concepts on it's 3 spacious floors and looks a bit like a riverboat from the street.

I show up and meet some new musicians, which is always great for me to gain valuable experience.  D.J. is messing with the sound, pulling wires and doing all those necessary things to keep the divas happy.  "That is good enough for you FREAKS" he announces.  I laugh at this, because he knows I am a harmless confidant.  I ask some technical questions and he obliges with some great education.

The NJR jams continue for a few months, but I notice a strange thing.  The crowds, including musicians are diminishing.  A sign appears in the elevator one night.  "NO OUTSIDE CONTAINERS ALLOWED"  I always buy a couple of beers and occasionally order food, so I figure they are just cracking down.  The last time I was there, I go in, the usual group of musicians greet me and I notice all the empty seats.  Downstairs, a private gathering is happening.  Someone opened the doors to let the music flow over the balcony and hopefully entice the patrons to come upstairs and enjoy the music. It is completely dead during the first set.  I later learn that the jams were cancelled there indefinitely.

I met some great musicians there, and learned a few new songs, so it was not a total loss, and I am informed that some new venues to jam at were in the works.





When I arrived home, my wife asked "How did it go?"
"We closed the place down." I answered.
"Did it get raided?" She asked.
"Yes, by the sounds of silence" I replied.

What else could I say?


Stir up that MONKEYDUST!


© 2018 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comments

  1. New jams in the works. Definitely! I'm not dead yet. I stopped using the elevator months ago. Took too damned long. R.I.P. House of Bourbon.....✌😎🎸🎶

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Violet