I've Got a Woman



Well, I've got a woman, way over town
That's good to me, oh yeah
Said I got a woman, way over town
Good to me, oh yeah- Ray Charles






editor note- a bit of a detour here, just some random music thoughts I have gathered.


Last night I watched the entirety of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil again. I really can relate to the character "Yankee John" living here, and playing music where I do. He was passive through most of the movie, and just watches all the weirdness around him, only getting involved when he sees how his skills can be used beneficially. This says a lot about my musical endeavors.


A while back my wife and I took a one night trip to New Orleans, as we often have, we met up accidentally with a Panama City friend and his wife. They invited us for dinner on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter and then we went to his friend's gig where he got to play with tenor sax player Lance Ellis. check out the the movie RAY (he's the sax player).



My friend played an original with a bunch of top players in New Orleans a killer Japanese bassist, Lance's brother on drums, and a cool dude on keyboards that wanted to remain nameless. Everyone got up to jam and sing, as they had been sitting in earlier at a friend's jazz gig. It amazed me how many musicians just walked in, plugged and and blazed. This left quite an impression on me. I have a goal of being to do this, anytime and anywhere. I am not quite there yet, there are several musical mysteries that baffle me. I admire anyone that comes to this gift naturally with no effort. My wife is one of them. She has an artistic mind and a musical ear.


The ultimate desert island list of musicians that have influenced me.


My tastes probably have something to say about my musical style. I really ENJOY playing the BLUES, but my listening preferences are all over the chart. I always wondered if artists listen as fans when experiencing their own output.


The Police

Pink Floyd

The Beloved

Jean-Luc Ponty

Steely Dan

Ben Folds Five

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Marilyn Manson

Megadeth

Seal

Iron Maiden

Tears for Fears




In closing I would like to post something, that I cannot attribute, but that I found EXTREMELY hilarious. Pardon the spelling, posted as found.

A list of problems encountered by music producers at one time or another




Problem: your drumsamples are very charakteristic presets, and you are afraid, someone could notice,

Solution: put distortion on it.



Problem: some of your synthvoice samples are very charakterisitc presets.

Solution: Pitch them down and/or play them reverse and put distortion on them.



Problem: your baselines are presets or very odd samples.

Solution: see above and don't forget to put distortion on it.



Problem: your beats are boring.

Solution: make sure to play them as loud as you can, add bass and put distortion on it.



Problem: it's not sounding good.

Solution: pitch the whole thing down and put more distortion on it



Problem: you're still not satisfied.

Solution: remove all effects and all distortion and listen to it again... you will be very satisfied that it is not sounding like that. don't forget to add some distortion after.



Problem: only noise is left.

Solution: tell it's underground and that's cool and/or call it noisecore and sell it to people who think they're cool (and/or very underground/sociopathic/strange or whatever they think is cool), listening to that. Put even mor distoriton on it before.



ok, i hope i helped you.

+ think of an very intellectual sounding name and an even more intellectual art concept for background needs, and don't ever forget to put distortion on it.




Bonus fun Activity Time!




CREATE YOUR BAND NAME & ALBUM COVER:


To Do This

1 - Go to Wikipedia. Hit “random”
or click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.

2 - Go to Quotations Page and select "random quotations"
or click http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four or five words of the very last quote on the page is the title of your first album.

3 - Go to Flickr and click on “explore the last seven days”
or click http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days
Third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

4 - Use Photoshop or similar to put it all together.




Stir up that MONKEYDUST!


ps- would any readers be interested in reading or submitting local artist's original music? Let me know at drazil91@hotmail.com


© 2018 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Violet