Local Artist Spotlight: "Bonedaddy"



This is another installment in the Artist Spotlight Series.


I plan on doing more of these, if you would like to be featured, or would like to suggest an Artist, please contact me at drazil91@hotmail.com




In this installment I interview Trey Broege aka "Bonedaddy" via instant messenger.  I have played with him many times at his "No Jacket Required" (NJR) jam sessions. Overall, he is a great guy and musician, but he can be a bit "polarizing" to some.  Ego?  Sure. Talent?  Definitely.  A great front man, and very well versed in the business aspect of the local scene.  








What got you started in music? 

Desire.... It happened innocently. A friend who would stay at my house, which was located at the local pool hall/bar/venue a block away, would stay the weekend in order not to have to drive home. One weekend, he arrived with a brand new Washburn acoustic guitar. I had had a single lesson at 12 years old, which hurt my fingers, and never touched my childhood guitar again until then. It was dusty, as I later found out, damaged from years of neglect. The bridge had warped. So it was very painful learning to play it. I would shove my left hand in the icebox to numb the pain. But I made my mind up.... I was gonna learn how to play guitar.


Is there anyone in your family that is musical, who are they, and what do they play? 

My father could sing better than I. But my parents were divorced when I was about 3 years old. He was stationed at Tyndall AFB and would sing at the Wonder Bar in Mexico beach for free beers. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I was able to sing with him down in Tampa. It was in a pizza joint that hosted karaoke. We dueted singing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by the Everly Brothers. He sang high octave vocals, of course. It was a one time thing. And no, he never played any instruments, nor did any of my other family.



What was the first instrument you purchased?

Going back to my first guitar that was damaged... I drove down to Lietz Music on downtown Harrison avenue. I greeted the guitar guy by the name of Dennis Hill. He was a family friend. So... I tried several guitars. Then he put an acoustic Alvarez in my hands. Hardtop, true to the core, acoustic. I strummed an "E" chord. That was it! $400 later I was back in business! Funny thing is... It was only a half dozen years ago, It's a 50th anniversary silver edition acoustic guitar.




Have you had any formal, sit down training, or lessons? 


Sit downs... Yes. My first lead guitarist for my first Country band. I learned from him and the CMT channel. This was before I transformed it into BONEDADDY.


What are the pieces that make up your current equipment setup?

 Haa ha haaaa... I don't freakin' know!!! That's D.J.'s job. I do the Promoting, Marketing, Bookings. It's his job know the equipment. It's his. Most of my guitars are Ibanez'.... Not by choice. By chance. I have a beautiful Epiphone by the name of Belle that I keep in the background, but people will be seeing more of her soon.



What famous musicians, or their recordings, have you been influenced but?
Really Matt...? snorting....
From a performance viewpoint...?  First and foremost, Gene Simmons of KISS I was a member of the KISS army. Gene is who made me take that first guitar lessons. Later it was Prince,Michael Jackson, Dwight Yoakam, and of course... The venerable Elvis Presley. I almost jumped a wall at Graceland just for the hell of it one night while the frontgate guard was asleep.
The rest is just me trying to make it sound true to form.



Do you ever get nervous performing, and how do you deal with it?

snickering n smirking Always.. Any professional ALWAYS gets nervous. It's your reputation onstage. How do I deal with it. That's my business. I'm being as short and concise as I can, with these questions...





What is your practice regimen like?

laughs hysterically  Practice?... Regimen...???!!! What are these words?!!
Matt... Practice... Or "rehearsal" as I call it, are rare. However, some songs just come together onatage that we choose. D.J. and I rehearse and build them at our jam sessions and then give them to P.J. n Scott. We're all professionals.






How do you balance your music career with.the rest of your life? 

I don't. I can't depend on my music to support me. So.... I have a regular job like everyone else. My window has passed. So... I'll shine on the weekends and be that dude that made you dance and sing that one night. Maybe he just might come back...



How would you describe your band's sound?

laughing   Professional rock n roll garage band. We're not afraid to come off stage or tell the audience how we're feeling. We're raw, passionate, and interact with each other and the audience. We're a Party band!!!



What musicians are currently the featured performers in your band?


Donald "D.J." Briggs on Bass guitar. He's also pretty much our stage production guy.
Scott Skipper on lead guitar just smokin' it. 
Paul "P.J." Hunyady in the pocket on drums. Just super solid. 
And me...? In the driver's seat of it all. I do all the bookings, public relations, and marketing. Decals and T shirts etc.



What is next on the horizon for you, musically?
To be as famous as possible of course!!! 








Love him, or tolerate him, there is no denying he is quite the entertainer. If you have a chance to see him perform as his incarnations as "Bonedaddy" "Dos Vatos" or "Trey's Hombres"  I highly recommend his blend of Country and Southern Rock.  He has given countless hours to the local music scene, and personally, quite a bit of instruction.


Stir up that MONKEYDUST! Phrase coined by Trey.

© 2018 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Violet