Red Barchetta

My uncle has a country place
 That no one knows about
 He says it used to be a farm
 Before the Motor Law-Rush




I have an uncle that influenced me more than he realizes.  We are very close in age, with only a difference of about 7 years.  I always looked up to him, and he made a tremendous impact on my musical taste.  

During the increased popularity of the CD player circa 1984, they became affordable enough for a teenage me to have one.  I spent an entire paycheck from my part time summer job, and purchased Dokken "Tooth and Nail" because of it's proximity to the cash register.  I listened to that over and over, it being the only thing I could play.  

My uncle had taught me the mysteries of patch cables and good audio practices (as well as handling media by the edges) to get me started, and gave me a new album on CD by one of his favorite bands, Rush "Grace Under Pressure" for my birthday and announced that he would be taking me to see them within the next month.

He cautioned me that I should expect big changes from them and that most of their older catalog might get skipped, with this being their 10th studio album.  He also advised that they had changed producers, and that they were now very "synth-heavy" as a primary instrument. Being that he is a superfan and very technologically geeked out, I did not care, and accepted his invitation.


Rush Setlist Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL, USA 1984, Grace Under Pressure
Edit this setlist | More Rush setlists

We sat stage left, the light show was amazing, but we were so close, that the sound was pretty awful. It did not matter. Neil Peart could have hit me in the eye with a drumstick if he had wanted to. His drumming is only outdone by his lyrical prowess.  I enjoyed every second of this concert and I think of the performance EVERY time that I am on stage.

Now I had 2 major influences.  

Godspeed Neil!

Exit the Warrior!

What else could I say?

Stir up that MONKEYDUST!


© 2020 MATT COLEMAN ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Déjà Vu

Roundabout

Never Gonna Give You Up